American Craft Beer Week is the annual celebration of small and independent craft brewers, their craft beer and the American craft beer culture. This year, American Craft Beer Week was officially celebrated May 13-19.
In 2006, the Brewers Association’s American Beer Month, which was held in July, was changed into a weeklong effort in May; timed just before the busy summer beer season. Immediately, the week became the largest national effort focusing on American craft brewers, and remains so today. Since 2006, this national beer week has logged thousands of events and two U.S. Congress Resolutions have been passed supporting the goals and ideas of ACBW.
Here is a small timeline to show the increase in interest and participation in ACBW.
- 2006: 124 breweries hosted events and House Resolution 753 was passed by the U.S. Congress commending American Craft Brewers for their support of American agriculture, their education about the diversity of beer flavors and historic brewing traditions, their community involvement and contribution to their local economies.
- 2007: 150 breweries hosted events
- 2008: 168 breweries hosted events and the Declaration of Beer Independence was introduced
- 2009: 212 breweries hosted more than 500 events
- 2010: 341 breweries hosted 621 events with recognition at multiple retailers in 45 states. House Resolution 1297 was passed by the U.S. Congress supporting the goals and ideals of American Craft Beer Week
- 2011: 1,521 events posted to the official ACBW calendar in 50 states.
- 2012: 1,368 events posted to the official ACBW calendar in 50 states.
- 2013: ACBW held on May 13-19, 2013
American Craft Beer Week is just one of the many beer weeks happening in the U.S. every year. The closest of these events include St. Louis Craft Beer Week, Chicago Craft Beer Week, Nashville Craft Beer Week, and Quad Cities Craft Beer Week. St. Louis Craft Beer Week will be held July 27 through August 4 this year. Each of these events are a huge opportunity for today’s small and independent craft brewers to rally their supporters, talk about their community contributions, and recognize today’s craft beer lovers who are responsible for the ever-advancing beer culture in America.
Speaking of the rapid growth in this industry, Illinois was just recently added to the 10 Best Craft Brew States in America. With the growing number of craft brewers popping up throughout this area, here's hoping we will soon see a Southern Illinois Craft Beer Week. Stop by your Illinois Liquor Marts location and check out our huge, always growing craft beer selection. Let's celebrate craft beer all summer long!